Friday, May 4, 2012

POSTCARDS FROM DIDDY WAH DIDDY: my latest book


It’s Spring at Sewanee, a felicitous time to publish another book of poetry, and I’m right on schedule with it because I anticipated bringing one into the world in May, my birthday month. A good friend plans to review Postcards From Diddy Wah Diddy, but I usually mention my latest book for A Words Worth readers. I won’t review my own book – just wanted to give a thumbnail sketch of it a la blog.

About the cover: I have my mother’s collection of postcards from our family trip to California, during the late 40’s and planned to use one of them for the cover before I discovered that the one I wanted to use is a famous painting by a well-known, deceased western artist who lived in New Mexico, and the card was copyrighted after the 1921 cut-off date for expiration of copyrights – a copyright for ninety years! I did unearth a few of mother’s collection that had no copyrights printed on the cards and used one of these sepia-colored cards on the back cover of Postcards, but the front cover is a snapshot of my mother, my older brother Paul, and me – three of the principals traveling in the blue Ford coupe to Diddy Wah Diddy, my father’s name for California in 1946. California was Mecca, in his opinion, but when he uprooted his four children to make this odyssey, we weren’t too sure we wanted to live as gypsies traveling toward his envisioned paradise. The first few poems in Postcards From Diddy Wah Diddy express the feelings of the entire family concerning this memorable trip, excepting my father.

Many of the poems in this volume are nostalgic; others speak of friends and ancestors, of aging, travels and nature. As lagniappe and for varied reading, I included three short stories that have been in a box for years.

My grandson Martin designed the cover of Postcards From Diddy Wah Diddy, and the book is a product of Border Press, Sewanee, Tennessee.

Click on the title, Postcards From Diddy Wah Diddyanywhere in this post to go to a website for ordering. Write to Border Press, PO Box 3124, Sewanee, TN 37375 for mail orders, and include a check for $12 plus $5, shipping and handling.

No comments: