Monday, August 5, 2019

THE MIND OF TREES

Live Oak on Bayou in Arnaudville


This morning amidst the continuing news about mass shootings and tragedy of the last few days, and while I pray for peace in our troubled country, I received an email from my dear friend, Karen Bourque, a master of glass artistry who lives in Church Point, Louisiana. She had attached a photograph of her latest glass piece featuring a tree in Cajun Country. Like many of Karen’s glass pieces, the work brought with it a feeling of peace. The piece wasn’t requisitioned by me, but Karen shares images of a lot of her work with me, and I share my poetry with her — an exchange of inspiration, and sometimes synchronicity. She said she was reading a poem each night from my latest, The Consolation of Gardens, and meditating on it, and I was cheered by the thought that, although I’m not on any bestseller list, some of the poems have carried the “consolation of gardens” to cherished friends.


The email with an image of her lovely glass piece reminded me of an oak tree that Karen, Darrell, Vickie, and I viewed after lunch one afternoon in Arnaudville, Louisiana and that Karen used as a model for the cover of my book, A Slow Moving Stream, published in 2016. One of the poems, “The Mind of Trees,” captured my mood and “spoke to my condition” this morning. It is partially excerpted below:

The trees outlasted their language.
No matter who came
the language disappeared into English:
French, Spanish, German, Chitimacha.
English filled the horizon,
the patois of each clan banned,
buried under the oaks, the words waiting.
The trees absorbed all of it
and when hurricanes felled them
they were cut into logs,
the loggers, finding stories in their language
imbedded in the rings,
began to preserve what had been lost.

Word by word they created
an articulation of arriving,
the sound of memory offering itself
from a distant longing. They heard
what they had been told not to hear —
testimonies for their being there.
And they praised the trees
for finding a way without them.

The poem is open to interpretation, but I believe it’s pertinent to what is going on in our country and am glad to repeat it here. Thanks for the “pass along” this morning, Karen Bourque.

Photograph in “The Mind of Trees” by Victoria I. Sullivan and glass piece image on the cover of A Slow Moving Stream by Karen Bourque.


1 comment:

Jo Ann Lordahl said...

Terrific Diane - you capture this sorrowful mood, yet somehow hopeful, of our country. Thank You. Jo Ann