Thursday, February 25, 2021

FOOTNOTE TO GINGER

Ginger Alive and Dreamy


A large response from readers of the Ginger blog caused me to give it better press than the photo of dead plant specimens in my yard that I published last week. This morning when I viewed a photograph of it alive and well that appears in An Ordinary Day, a book of my poetry, my melancholy mood lightened considerably.

Botanist Vickie Sullivan’s photograph of the plant when it was green and glowing gave me hope for the Ginger patches scattered about our yard. I know that New Iberia, Louisiana has a plethora of dead Ginger vegetation, and our yard tender tells me that we’re on a long list of customers clamoring for the removal of dead plants. So I look at the photograph Vickie took when our plants were at their best and wait for the drooping tan leaves to be cleared.

I know that after the dead leaves are removed, and by the time we return to New Iberia in the Fall, our Ginger patch will have resurrected and will look like the photo of this plant that makes New Iberia landscapes look luxurious and paradisaical. 
 
Photograph & Treatment by Victoria Sullivan  
 
 

1 comment:

Sr. Madeleine Mary, CSM said...

I know nothing about this plant. Can this form of ginger be used for ginger tea or can the root be used? Thanks, Sr. Madeleine Mary, CSM