Friday, December 18, 2020

WHEELS

 



“Plasma Yellow Pearl?”
 
Yep, that’s the color — the color of the new 2021 Subaru Crosstrek parked under our carport. And, believe me, the strange hue has incited more comment than I care to hear. I think the color is either olive or avocado, but I’ve never claimed to be a conventional type person who would follow my grandfather’s color preferences.

Grandfather Paul Greenlaw, who sold Ford autos from 1908 (Model T’s) until the early 1940s would have disowned me if he’d seen this audacious car in our drive. A conservative man, Paul Greenlaw, sold mostly black and a few blue autos, but plasma yellow pearl?! He should have lived until the 1950s when Ford offered buyers an olive-colored (not plasma yellow) Mustang during the “pony car” craze when Cobras, Mustangs, and Thunderbirds flooded the market.

For some inexplicable reason, the Plasma Pearl Yellow Subaru purchase inspired me to order back issues of the Ford Times, a now-defunct magazine published from 1908 until 1919 when publication halted, then resumed in 1943 until 1993.


A small magazine 4” x 6” and later 5”x7," I discovered copies of this treasure on Grandfather Paul’s desk on the sleeping porch of his Victorian house in Franklinton, Louisiana. I was fascinated by the paintings (lots of watercolors), travel destinations, articles about restaurants, festival listings and other feature stories, and illustrations of the latest lines of Ford automobiles that I coveted at the time Grandfather owned this automobile franchise. In the attic of his home, I also surreptitiously played thick recordings in which a high pitched voice belted out “Henry’s Made A Lady Out of Lizzie.”

The sight of all the Fords featured in Ford Times created feelings of nostalgia for the old Ford coupes in the showroom of Motor Sales and Service on the main thoroughfare of Franklinton, Louisiana, as well as feelings of being a traitor to Grandfather Paul’s favored line of automobiles…especially since the Subaru is such a “loud” color. However, at the age of approaching 86, I’m sorta’ glad to present evidence that I still have some reputation for being just a little outrageous.
 
Photograph by Victoria Sullivan 
 
 

1 comment:

Sr. Madeleine Mary, CSM said...

Okay, I guess this car means that you plan to take some trips in the coming year. It is bright. You will be seen. I remember the pony Mustang, but the Corvette is what would stop conversation and draw attention in my family. I didn't know there was a "Ford Times." I'll have to check it out.